Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My Favorite Topic

Many thanks to Susan and Stephanie for keeping me from having to think up anything original tonight!

On to the good stuff:

1.What are you training for now?
Marine Corps Marathon, Oct. 30, 2005, Washington, D.C.

2. If you are raising money for a cause, what is it and why is that cause important to you?
I'm training with the National Aids Marathon Program, and as part of the deal, I agreed to raise $1,700. Money raised goes to D.C.'s local HIV/AIDS clinic, rather than some impersonal research facility. I like that this money goes directly to those in need. Amount raised to date: $1,775!!!! (Signed, Mother Theresa.)

Why AIDS? There are so many good causes out there, I dunno, I picked this one. Maybe because (even though I know this is not a "gay" disease, so don't even bother writing to tell me that), some of my best friends (no, really) are gay.

Also, I knew someone (acquaintance) who died of AIDS.

3. What is the farthest running you've done in training and what is the farthest running you will run before your event? Ever?
Sixteen miles two weeks ago with my training "group," (who I believe I might have just briefly mentioned before), but the longest training run before the MCM is 26.2 miles, a few weeks before the actual marathon. That last training is, apparently, just a pretend marathon.

4. What is your favorite flavor of gu (or other sports gel) ?
I think they are all pretty disgusting and do nasty things to my digestive tract, but if you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick, I'd say tri-berry GU.

5. How many days a week do you run?
Oh this is a good question! Three days per week, because that's all we're allowed to run. Because we mustn't upset the Schedule.

Mondays and Wednesdays are maintenance runs, four miles each (or 45-minute runs of any length, take your pick). Tuesdays and Thursdays are cross-training (=horrid elliptical machine of death), and Saturdays are "group" runs, (which I believe I may have touched on in a previous post), alternating between long, longer, and ridiculous.

6. Are you injured in any way right now?
What, are you trying to jinx me?? No way I'm answering this! That'd be just asking for it.

7. What is the one type of running clothing/gear (shoes don't count) you can't live without?
Ok, I'm gonna lie on this one, and say Title Nine's incredible Frog Bratm. (Yeah, I know that's a boring answer, but you've already read waaay more than you ever wanted to know about me and my bodily functions.)

8. Do you have a talisman you are planning to take to your event? If so, tell us.
You mean like a lucky rabbit's foot? Or a favorite coin? A magic four-leaf clover? No. No, I don't have a talisman. Should I?? I should, shouldn't I. That's it, i'm doomed. Now, on top of everything else I have to worry about, I can add "find a freakin' talisman" to my list. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

9. Share one thing about yourself we don't know.
I sleep with an enormous, life-sized stuffed bear that I bought for my daughter when she was 8-years-old. He, I mean IT, keeps my back flat at night since I sleep with my legs draped over it. That's my story anyway.

Bonus fact: I sleep in what I like to call my "crib." A three-sided affair. Kind of cozy, like you're sleeping on a ship. It kinda looks like a crib, doesn't it? Without the fourth side.

I find that amusing. As no doubt would Dr. Freud.

Had enough?

Margaret, ncmunchkin, and Erin, tag, you're it.

7 comments:

:) said...

Pretty damn funny answers...you get the post of the day award!

jeanne said...

Hey, thanks! Does that come with a medal? :)

21st Century Mom said...

Smart move skirting that injury question. Best not to even think about them.

The day before my marathon I had to drive 90 minutes to a bridal shower and I was sort of terrified of getting into an accident. It didn't happen, I ran and the report is up.

No matter what you read please understand I am already trying to decide which marathon to run next. I believe I've contracted some sort of illness....

a.maria said...

you're running a marathon BEFORE YOU RUN THE MARATHON????????????

thats just... what the???... why!!!??!!

jeanne said...

Yeah, it's crazy, man. But, according to the Great Galloway, it builds confidence.

And remember, I'm running 3 min/walking 1 minute, for the whole freakin' way! Is that really running? He says so. I guess he should know.

21st Century Mom said...

I think that pre-marathon marathon is a great idea. Nothing prepares you for a marathon like running a marathon. That's just the way it is.

I hope the Aids folks are picking up the tab for both races, though. These things are expensive!

BTW - the yellow singlets were in force for the SF Marathon. The cheering sections and coaching for those people was phenomenal.

jeanne said...

Eddie, you leave me speechless!

And 21stcentury: Yeah! Your write-up was fantastic!! You made it sound easy!