Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Southern Barbeque!

According to accuweather.com, that's what's going on out there today.

A high pressure system centered over Louisiana will continue to bring very hot weather to the South. Temperatures will reach the century mark for places in southern Arkansas, South Carolina and North Carolina, while readings for the remainder of the South will climb into the mid to upper 90s. Relief, however, is on the way with a cold front pushing into the region later this weekend.
And hello, you can also toss in VIRGINIA, D.C., and MARYLAND, accuweather people.

Arlington, Va.,
8 a.m. 88F/humidity 93
9 a.m. 91F/humidity 87
11 a.m. 100F/humidity 72

We ran eight miles in these conditions this morning on the no-longer-so-lovely W&OD trail, which runs 45 miles from Arlington to Purcellville.

The trail is suffering from some kind of tree blight, so it used to be lovely and shady, but now it's endless miles of, well, see for yourself:

Before/After

Kind of sad.

What's sadder is running on it. Running on hot asphalt. Endless miles of it. Endless relentless clear blue skies and sun. Endless sun. No. Escape. From. The. Sun.

There were hundreds of people out there, and they were all insane.

I brought up the rear of my little group today. There was no running back and forth checking on people. Thankfully, Coach J. was also there and she was the pointman.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I saw a long tunnel illuminated with white light at one point. It's possible that I also saw my (dead) grandmother. I hung with M., who is from Trinidad, so, naturally I asked her, "So, do you have snow in Trinidad?"



What I'm trying to say here, is: IT. WAS. HOT.

So, eight miles in 1:46. I'll save you the trouble of doing the math: 13:15 minute/mile pace.

But all in all, I felt good at the end, despite my trying to argue with Coach J. that that had to have been NINE miles. Her Garmina said otherwise.

What doesn't kill you you makes you stronger, right?

13 comments:

Neese said...

too funny that went through my mind SEVERAL times this past week "what won't kill us will only make us stronger".

21stCenturyMom said...

Yikes - so hot... so very, very hot... ugh. No lik the heat.

It's not so hot here.

I am grateful.

David said...

It's enough to make you wish for February.

Anonymous said...

You looked great out there, and were still running when I passed you. I felt like I was going to melt as I ran from Rosslyn to West Falls Church (one way, about 8 miles) this morning. Bring on fall! No marathon training for me this year, triathlon's my new passion (at least I focus less on running and more on other things I'm also not good at).

Christy (former DCFitter)

Anne said...

Was it tree blight or "progress" as developers like to call it?! How sad either way that the path is now more hellish than heavenly when the air's as hot as you described. Carry on.

Susan said...

You ought to be Popeye-strong after those miles.

That poor trail... I prefer the shaded version!

peter said...

The treeless nature of the W&OD is the result of invasive plant introduction that wreaks havoc on native species.

It doesn't snow on the equator?

David says, So you want February? Yeah but he has February in Florida! When I ran the WDWM and it was 35 degrees, it was heaven for me but all those Florideans, you know, those 400 folks who changed world history by giving us "W", were freezing! Wimps!

It WAS hot today. 105 degrees on the heat index. A great day for movers!

Mmem said...

Can't believe you did 8 miles in that SOUP! Ugh! I was dying today after 6, so you are my idol (as usual!).

I kept wondering today how folks can even dream about completing a marathon (much less actually RUN it) after dealing with the hills and humidity and all this other long run schtuff...so again, you are my idol for having done it!

Sad before & after pictures of that trail:-(

Erin said...

That's so sad about them cutting down all those trees. :(

I feel you on the heat. The heat index here in Houston today at 9:00 am was 102º!! I thought I was gonna die!

LBTEPA said...

eight miles?
in the heat?
You are unstoppable

Laufenweg said...

you are INVINCIBLE!! :-)

Larissa said...

Evil tree killers! How dare they take away your shade!

You are amazing - 8 miles in hell with a vision of heaven - be careful out there woman, this world needs you to hang aroung!

Rich said...

Uh huh. Getting stronger all the time baby!