Monday, August 27, 2007

Lose a Friend ...

... gain some furniture!

My good and extremely generous friend, coach, and younger-than-me-but-wiser mentor, Bex, is heading west. Before she left though, she asked if I'd like to take a lovely armchair and ottoman off her hands.

Rule #1 here at Not Born to Run Headquarters is: Never say no to free stuff.

After Saturday's run in the sun, I asked this charming fellow if he would be interested in picking up an armchair and ottoman from Bex, and delivering it to me, across the river, a million miles away. It was 105F on Saturday, remember? "Of course!," he said. "Happy to!" (Let us state for the record that I offered to help load the truck, but was refused.)

Oh, the perils of owning a pickup.

So I went on home, showered, and whiled away the afternoon sipping iced tea while gazing at my upside-down screen door, anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new chair and ottoman. Until Bex called, interrupting my reverie, asking would I be interested in a matching loveseat? How about a side table?

Rule #2 in the Not Born to Run household: See Rule #1. Meaning that Peter and Bex and E. now had to fit everything into Peter's trusty red pickup. In 105F.

Mmmmm, this lemonade tastes good!

So, that's the story of how a good man got roped into moving a whole lotta furniture in 105F. (Did I mention it was 105F?) And why my living room looks like Ikea met Crate and Barrel—and then threw up.

(Note tin can on side table labelled "France Argent." We (supposedly) put all our change in there, saving up for a big trip to France. Somehow the balance seems to be going down.)

Rule #3 in the Not Born to Run Household: Something new comes in, something old must go out.

Anyone in the market for a raggedy old exceptionally heavy couch? No?

There's this kid in Philly I know ... just got her first apartment ... now if I could just find a way to get that thing up there ...

Farewell, Bex! I hardly knew ye.

12 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

Lucky you! Nice stuff.

My interior design skills are quite lacking (as you've seen) and I see that I suffer from a similar ailment to you - corditis.

Solution - 1 extension cord + 1 power strip = all cords run down back of TV and behind bookcase, out of site. It's also a little bit safer because the power strips have a fuse that blows if you have a power surge. Joe Bob sez check it out.

Nancy Toby said...

Uhhhh... Jeanne? You need a new TV. THOSE ARE ANALOG DIALS.

I'm just sayin'....

LBTEPA said...

Oooh, funky pink lamp!
But I'm disturbed to see an ironing board...surely you don't iron?
Better do as 21CMom says and tidy up those cords -it's safer on so many levels (what if she came to visit and found out you'd been disobedient?)

peter said...

Would you please ask Nancy what is Analog? And don't forget the BF did the heavy lifting at your house while you poured lemonade and I directed.

Rhea said...

Glad the furniture went to a good home. E. says he'd like to visit from time to time ... take a nap on the loveseat, for old time's sake.

Thomas said...

With friends like these you're sorted for good.

Jenny said...

LOL :-) My house is furnished with give-aways and things from the reduced corner of the store! Sadly I don't follow your rule #3 so I have a lot of stuff.

I second (third, fourth?) the new TV suggestion - that thing's so small; how do you make out what's going on? ;-)

Larissa said...

Yay for free stuff! Double Yay for good men to move it!! Triple Yay for lemonade when its 105!!!

Goooooo, Jeanne!

yeah, and get a new tv already.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanne, Haven't had much chance to check in, but glad to see you're giving Bex's stuff a good home. I fear our dear friend P. may give up that truck! Ain't he great?! -A.

Vickie said...

So you're where I got this sore throat and drippy nose from!

Rich said...

Peter's Moving Co. - We Move Anything Anywhere From DC To Philly. Tips Only.

IHateToast said...

well, ya big dummy! you have no lid on the france argent! you can't save if you have room enough to fit a greedy fist inside. change the piggy bank!