Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Did It My Way

That was me this morning. Doing it my way.

I decided to talk to myself (again) as though I were giving someone (someone not so bright) some advice. Someone NEW to running. Someone who was feeling despair about running. Someone who didn't know her arse from her elbow.

Here's what I said:
Self, you're gonna run six miles this morning, before work.
"Six miles!! You're nuts. I don't have time or energy for that. I can only do that if I'm with a group, heavily distracted. Or sedated."
Well, you're gonna do it anyway, cuz you're doing too much else this week and you need the mileage if you think you're gonna run this on Sept. 16.

So, I went out early, 6 a.m., it was still cool (relatively speaking), and I told myself to take the first two miles slow, pick it up for miles 3 and 4 (my version of picking it up, OK?) and then slow it way down for the last two miles.

Now, I don't know if this is in any way any kind of, you know, official, running-type work-out or anything. I mean it wasn't a tempo run, or intervals, or fartlek, or whatever. It was a pure JEANNE run.

So here, because I like to share, (I'm a giver!) I give you the JEANNE run, guaranteed to not kill you and yet, leave you feeling amazingly good (how many other things can you say that about?!!):

mile 1: 11:13
mile 2: 10:50
mile 3: 10:14
mile 4: 10:21
mile 5: 11:42
mile 6: 11:50

I felt good. Afterglow!

Meanwhile, I leave for Philly tomorrow morning (in a rental car, don't worry) to drop off Number One Daughter at her first apartment for her senior year. I'm spending the night with NOD and her roomies. Slumber par-tay!!

Friday, I'm driving from Philly to Delaware to visit some friends at the shore. And I'm staying through Sunday, unless they kick me out sooner which is not beyond the realm. So somewhere in between now and Sunday, I've got to get in an 8-miler. (Are ya listening Bob?!?!?!) If anyone knows any good running routes in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, drop me a line!

In the meantime, give a listen to ol' blue eyes over there ------------------->

17 comments:

Laurie said...

The Jeanne way looks like a good way.

Have a great weekend!

LBTEPA said...

Now I can't stop laughing - or get Sid's dulcet tones out of my head LOL curse you, fast-and-far-running earworm planter!
Have a great weekend :)

Susan said...

Wow - so fast! Jeanne-y speedy!

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Run on the beach! Because 8 miles of *that* wouldn't be hard or anything :-)

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

You're my hero, Jeanne. Six miles before work? I could never do that!

Vickie said...

Your running plan sounds good to me. I guess I'd better get back at it if I'm going to use your as my mentor.

Larissa said...

Awesome run, Jeanne! Have fun in Delaware.

Anonymous said...

A "Jeanne" run. I think you just coined a new term for a run. Nice splits and enjoy your trip.

IHateToast said...

next time you mix up your arse and your elbow, feel yourself up a bit. if the skin is dry and wrinkly, that is most likely your elbow. if it is your arse, you have much bigger problems.

MOYSS!
CHUR!
IZE!

Anonymous said...

The Jeanne Way is a hell of a lot faster and longer than my way. You go!!

Mmem said...

That is a great pace for your 6 at 6! You go, girl. Safe trip to PA & DE!

David said...

Right about now I guess you're scarfing down a wish sandwich along the shore in Delaware. I hope you got that 8-miler in this morning.

Six miles any work weekday morning is an accomplishment. Good on you Jeanne.

peter said...

Ohh, running on the beach is very hard. Six miles. That's pretty cool. Those split times are even cooler. We missed you on our eight-mile run this morning.

Rhea said...

How'd your 8-miler go? My 14-miler was DOA. So I gotta run 14 tomorrow. We need to catch up, btw.

Dori said...

I hope you had a great vacation. Good job on your 6 miles. How do you feel about your little girl having her own apartment?

a.maria said...

hey, where you be?!

Laurie said...

Scooby Doo, where are you?