Thursday, August 02, 2007

Say It Out Loud*

...I'm a runner and I'm proud!

There's something to this thing of declaring your intentions, and I'm not talking Jane Austen and marriage proposals. Although come to think of it ... nevermind, that's another post entirely.

For weeks now I've only been able to run this schedule during the week:
M-3 miles
W-4 miles
F-3 miles
and then Saturday, whatever is on the long run sked--currently at 6 miles!

I looked back over last year's running log and noticed that at this time last year I was routinely runnng 6 and 7 miles during the week, plus doing hills and track work. Yeesh, what the hell was I thinking??

I KNOW what I was thinking. I was thinking: girl, you got a marathon to run!

So this year, no marathon. But I got a 10 miler to run! And I'd like to get a 1/2 marathon in there, too.

So you know, time to step it up already.

So Saturday, I was complaining (what else is new) to one of my running group peeps that I could NOT seem to up the distances during the week. COULD NOT. And I had no idea why. And together we pondered what that was all about, as she slunk away to talk to someone normal.

So, lo and behold, this week I started Monday morning with a 4-miler, and Wednesday did 5 miles, and tomorrow, if the planets are aligned and my meds kick in, I'll do four miles!!

See? I went from 3-4-3 to 4-5-4!

And all because I said out loud what I'd been thinking for weeks, which was: What the hell is my problem?

I just thought I'd share that with you.

Have a nice day!


* Apologies to James Brown.

12 comments:

21stCenturyMom said...

Could you please come fix my problems, too? I'm not nearly as good at it as are you.

Way to get your run on!

LBTEPA said...

Name it and you have power over it....

peter said...

I think what is going on here is that you're running better now than you were last year. Not to take anything away from your MCM last fall but you were faster and more comfortable on your runs than ever before in the 10K program just before your surgery, and you came back from that quickly and have now reached a level of fitness that is commeasurate with then. You are getting faster as you prepare for the shorter Army 10-Miler (remember your 32 minute 5K just a month ago at which you, ahem, beat your coach) and you're starting to bump the miles out to what s necessary for that race, as you should. Coaches will tell you: To run faster you have to run fster.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Way to go!

I personally am much better at complaining about things than actually changing them :-)

Laurie said...

Nicely done lady!

You may want to consider keeping your Saturday long run at 6 miles this week so you don't increase your weekly mileage too quickly. Better to be safe than sorry!

a.maria said...

well done JEANNE!!! i hate running two days in a row. currently my tues/weds is killing me.

and i'm STILL only running 3x a week...

so. you rule. i drool.

what else is new?!

Anonymous said...

stil to go !
keep up the gud work

Larissa said...

The spoken (and written) word has great power.

So, with that in mind, could you please say something to make my swim and bike faster? Thank you.

Rich said...

Memphis is still open. So's Disney :-)

David said...

.. and I have a room for Disney runners.

IHateToast said...

regency england never would have understood you, you know.

Anonymous said...

It's always hard to coach ourselves - good job keeping yourself on track.