Monday, July 14, 2008

Riders in Search of ...

Just a typical weekend.

Up at 5:30 on Saturday, drive to Vienna (that would be Vienna, Virginia) to meet up with my homies:
L-R: Greg, Jason, Carolina, Rachel, Catie, Sandy, Julia, Casey, me

for a nice, leisurely 45.8 mile ride.

It was leisurely because a) we have this little ohmygodwhathaveisignedupfortri coming up in two weeks, and b) we had a "training" tri on Sunday (which is in the running for the Most. MisNamed. Event. Ever.) so my crew was taking it easy.

We went out on the W&OD trail, which intercepts with many cross streets, so has many stop signs on it for several miles, so is a) great practice for clipping in and out (hi greg!) and b) makes it hard to go too fast.

W&OD elevation map; also? It was downhill most of the way out.

Which meant? My peeps went slow, and—I got to pass them! I got to pretend that I was faster. I was even out front at some points. It was some kind of serious excitement for me, since I've never been first ever EVER EVER!! IN ANYTHING!!! (OK, so they let me be first. I will take what I can get.)

We rode out to Leesburg, where I had to beg everyone to dismount and get their photo taken with this sign. I guess they are shy. Soon enough though they were tripping over each other to get into this historic shot:


There is one difference between these photos. Can you spot it?

The ride was planned with two stops in mind: beer and ice cream. Not necessarily together.

There's a sign on the trail with an arrow pointing thataway to a brewery. So we followed the arrow, which led us to a lovely industrial park, where we rode around for a while, in search of a brewery.
If only we could see SOME clue that there actually is a brewery around here.

Finally found it, but there was no place for the bikes, so we wisely made the decision to carry on to the next stop: Dairy Queen!!

Jason and Sandy vie for the cutest award.
Catie is a third contender.

We are some badasses! Don't mess with us! Yum, Blizzards!


Casey is totally hardcore.

Next up: My "Training" Tri Race Report. Don't touch that dial.

Contributions to the "buy jeanne a new tv" fund will be gratefully accepted. Although I honestly think you people should not be ENCOURAGING me to watch TV. C'mon!

16 comments:

LBTEPA said...

Is that a one-piece you're wearing? The no-sugar regime is certainly paying off! And as for that elevation chart....

peter said...

I have never seen so many smiling people out on a hard workout before. You all look radiant. Way to go! It looks like you all had a lot of fun.

Nancy Toby said...

Jeanne, a *BETTER* TV would cost about $10. But nooo..... you've already INVESTED in life support for your analog TV. So we can't consider taking that little bit of Stone Age technology away from you while it awaits a permanent home in the American History Museum downtown.

21stCenturyMom said...

Nice ride - too much fun! And you aren't even complaining about your ass being sore. I'm impressed!

As for the TV - hold out for a 60" flat screen HDTV. If people want to be critical of your tele they should cough up some bucks!

Rainmaker said...

45 miles? Dang! I remember a few months ago you were all worried about a 10 mile ride. Look at ya now! Rock-star job.

Although...Rock Stars probably wouldn't be sporting that TV...

Rich said...

Yo! You're the only one who doesn't look like you're in the witness protection program. Time to get some bad-a$$ shades :-)

Anonymous said...

spot the difference? this is like Highlights Magazine. where are Goofus and Gallant? wait, i saw a few Goofi.

Lesser is More said...

Next time you are going out for another epic ride on the W&OD trail in search for a good place to stop, hit up the Carolina Brother bbq joint. It's right off the trail (how could you NOT have stopped there, it smells so good as you pass by it!) in Ashburn, so it has easy access for cyclists. Its also right next to a bike shop, in case anyone needs a quick fix.

Susan said...

Man! I am coming to join you!

Rae said...

How fun!! You guys look like you have a great time together! Tri-training seem to really suit you!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, that's a nice ride out to Leesburg, isn't it? I did it a couple years ago while visiting (started in Falls Church and went one way one day, the other way the next day) on hybrid that I'd rented because they had no road bike small enough for me. I remember those hills and working hard to get up them (no hills where I am in FL!). Nice job out there!!

Vickie said...

The difference? That you're in the second one? Our trails are pretty much flat, although lots of places it is a false flat. I kind of wish we had a few hills in there for practice.

Sunshine said...

Delightful historic shot, everybody!
Hope you get some nice donations for that TV.. the Olympics are coming.
Nice training ride!

Anne said...

That sure sounds like a fun group, especially if some are willing to hang on for dear life to get in a picture.

And, catching up on a post or two later, I like the new look of the living room. A little less eclectic, but also less cluttered. You can actually do crunches in there now, can't you?!

Jade Lady said...

Oh, Vienna...my favorite place! Actually, cuz I used to live thar!

But, never did I ride the trail to leesburg!

Anonymous said...

45 miles?! Holy crap! I did 12 so far and ached for days! Great job. It looks beautiful there, I have to come join you on one of your rides!