I'm trying to use up 11 years worth of accumulated vacation hours by taking as many Fridays off as I can.
It's my little prescription to save my sanity and the sanity of those around me. Good in theory. My only problem is that I am a really crappy planner.
So today is my second Friday off. And? I have no plans.
Possible things I could do today:
1. I'm sitting in my living room surrounded by piles of clothes that need folding, 5 days of newspapers that need to be read or chucked (why do I buy it and NOT read it??!?!), a bedroom that needs what you might call SERIOUS tidying, and a kitchen that we started to re-do (we stripped the wallpaper--and let the glue fell on the floor because surely I'd be getting a new floor soon? But no. So it landed and hardened.) three months ago.
2. Read blogs.
3. I could go pay for a Reiki session, but it's not cheap and really, what exactly IS IT?
4. I could try to find a yoga class.
5. I live in a city with a boatload of the best museums in the world. And they're all free!
6. Go see a movie already!
7. I could clean.
8. I should really really clean.
9. Write a blog post!
10. Write a desperately overdue letter.
11. Call your mother!!!
Here's what I've done so far:
1. Starbucks. Grande decaf skim latte, extra hot.
2. Read blogs.
Now it's 11:10 and I've wasted four hours of my day already, doing nothing, but not the good kind of nothing. (This post is even boring ME, David, so save your breath.)
Because this is a "fitness" blog, I'll report on the rest of my week, since you asked.
Sunday: Ran five miles, no walking, 11:06 min. miles. Yay me.
Monday: Flat on bike at 6 a.m. Another early morning call to Number One Daughter! No time to run at work. But ran around a lot AFTER work because NOD is GOING TO EUROPE FOR A MONTH before she starts her full-time job. So, that's like 10 workouts right there. (By the way, if anyone knows anyone in Spain, Portugal, Croatia, Istanbul, or Greece, gimme a shoutout. She's going with two girlfriends, and they are backpacking and staying in youth hostels. I AM SO NOT JEALOUS. And so NOT WORRIED.)
Tuesday: Swam 1200 yards. Still slower than B.C. (Before swim Class). Forgot to run. After work, visited D.C. Rainmaker who generously GAVE me a RE-FUSE tire, and watched me put it on, AFTER I (accidentally!) slammed my car into the brick post that holds up his balcony. I'm sure I didn't do any structural damage. I guess he'll find out when he returns from IRONMAN CANADA! GO RAY!
Wednesday: Rode 10.20 miles—NO flat! I still can't seem to get up any speed (seriously Jeanne? You? Can't go fast??) riding on the streets around my neighborhood, which are all major arteries. I'm terrified every time I go out, so maybe I'm going slower on purpose? Maybe?
Wednesday: Ran 3 miles, tempo:
Still no walking. I should probably be adding distance, but my Secret Plan is to get good at three miles so that I don't start to hate running again and THEN add miles. I'll be sure to let you know how that works out. Oh, I also gave up running with the iPod.
Thursday: 1400 yard swim. Still slower than BC. Sigh. Went to last Swim Class after work and swam about 1 million laps there.
(But can I lose one pound?? I CANNOT.)
Saturday: Ride 18 miles, run 5k. It's the D.C. Tri Brick-nic.
I'm exhausted. I think it's just about naptime.
(This song makes me smile.)