Thursday, January 03, 2008

Brussels Sprouts

Such was my mother's cooking prowess, I think I was 20 before I realized that vegetables don't grow in cans. Despite the fact that I'm a vegetarian, I'm not exactly a font of knowledge about the most tasty ways to prepare vegetables.

Take brussels sprouts. Please.



Brussels sprouts "...contain good amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fibre. Moreover, they are believed to protect against colon cancer, due to their containing sinigrin."

And Lord knows, it's tough to get your daily dose of sinigrin—in.

They're just disgusting. In every way.

Or so I thought.

Until one day recently, while hurtling along the metaphoric holiday highway, I was served some very yummy brussels sprouts. I can't even remember where.

It was an epiphany. Brussels sprouts? Good? Who knew?

And like the addict I am, I needed more. Fast.

So, in order to deflect attention from the fact that I have absolutely no shame when it comes to self-promotion, I humbly offer you this recipe that I found while scouring the Internets that I guarantee will turn you into a brussels-sprouts fan, too.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

(from AllRecipes)

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  2. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
  3. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black,[Ed.'s note: Seriously, they should seem burnt.] when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.
No need to thank me. I'm here to help.*

*Tagline courtesy Bolder.

13 comments:

David said...

I absolutely loathe brussel sprouts. It's a good thing Mrs. T doesn't read this blog.

Rainmaker said...

Interesting...maybe I'll give them a shot this weekend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with you on all counts. I make a similar recipe in a skillet and just brown the flat side of halved brussel sprouts. Can't wait to try this! Thank you for helping us all get our "sinigrin-in".

peter said...

I'm with Eileen (who she?) and blanche up brussel sprouts over medium to high heat in a little oil in a large skillet, keep turning them and dump garlic powder and whatever spices you want to use up over them near the end. They're good. I never thought of baking them til they're black. Sini-what?

21stCenturyMom said...

I always thought I hate Brussels sprouts, too until I had a roasted one. Totally different experience than steamed. Very tasty. Thanks for the recipe.

Michele McNeil said...

All right, I'm counting on this recipe, because I've even smothered them with bacon and can't make them taste good...all of my brussels sprouts hopes are riding on this. I'll try it this weekend and report back!
P.S. Because of my mother's cooking prowess, I had no idea cheese came in anything BUT a bag, already shredded. But me and my cheese grater are now friends.

m said...

We cook them the way michelle does. They are too healthy the other way. Everything tastes better with bacon!

LBTEPA said...

Given as I trust you implicitly I will give this a try. Dubiously

Anonymous said...

so basically you eat the warts of a very small palm tree. noice.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Hmmm...Really? Brussell Sprouts?! I dunno about that one darlin'.

I need to start eating more veggies this year...but brussell sprouts?!?!?

Anita said...

Another Sprouthead! I LOVE brussel sprouts fixed exactly that way...cut in half, sprinkled with olive oil, garlic powder, and roasted until black. Crank it up a little with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese when they come out of the oven. I've been eating the little green balls of bliss like this for years. Welcome to paradise in a vegetable!

Sometimes I completely deconstruct the sprouts and spread the seasoned leaves on the pan before roasting. The cooking time is much less and results in a huge bowl of crispy bits.

Anita said...

Oh, and do the same thing with tight curly green kale. Roast until the edges of the kale leaves are dark brown to black and the inside of the leaf is dried. I store them in an airtight container and they last as a snack food for a couple days.

monicac2 said...

~shaking head~

Brussel sprouts. Eew. I don't care *how* you cook 'em!