Friday, June 16, 2006

New Kid on the Blog, and Tracking

The Race Athlete Performance Network, just launched by Everyman Triathlete, features some great writing, on all your fav sports, by some of your fav authors, including a. maria and our resident foot man, Bold, among others. Check it out.

***

In other exciting news, I, as usual, ignored the excellent advice many of you gave me to stop running and let those things on my feet (I refuse to use the "B" word anymore) actually heal, because, well, let's face it, I'm not so smart. So Wednesday night was "track night" on the schedule, and as I said, because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I headed over to the track for my first-ever track workout!! And now I know what this means: 8x400, with 100 recovery. Oh, the things I'm learning from this sport!

One of the DCRoad Runner coaches took pity on me and took me around the track and 'splained it all to me...I had previously looked up what my "cruising time" for 400 meters should be on the most excellent McMillan running calculator. Between 2:39 and 2:43 it said. I duly noted that, and then wrote it on the back of my hand, because who can remember all those numbers? For good measure, I added "x 8" because for first-time trackers, eight repeats was recommended (everyone else was doing 16. God bless 'em).

I warmed up, and then we were off. I had really no idea what to expect, but was warned not to go too fast (my fav instructions, no problem!) Except, I did the first 400 in 2:05, and the second in 2:15, and the third in 2:20. It got harder, yes it did. And I had to use "psychology" to get myself to do this thing eight times. Like, I had to talk to myself: "If you can do it four times, surely you can do five," I said. And then "OK, you can stop after six." And: "Well, if you can do six, you can absolutely do seven." And finally: "What the hell, you did seven, just one more and you're done!"

Yay me. I would proudly list all my times here except that someone decided to be friendly and talk to me and of course I hit the CLEAR WORKOUT button on my watch because I was distracted and had no blood left in brain, and poof! All gone.

It's OK though. I did it, and I want to do it again.

11 comments:

Downhillnut said...

Great job on the speedwork psychology - it's how I get through a lot of my runs, too.

Tammy said...

Nice job!!!

Stupid question time. I know 400 is one lap around... how do you know when you've done your 100m recovery? Just a guestimate?? I'm way to Type A to estimate.

Violet said...

I don't call them blisters either...more like open wounds...cavernous ulcers if you will.

Track workouts alwats feel great...it's getting there that's the problem.

Donald said...

Excellent job with your first track workout. Believe it or not, they do get a little easier. But not much.

If you want to get faster, the track is where it happens.

21st Century Mom said...

Excellent job! I did a track workout yesterday, too. I can't quite figure out what my interval was because my Garmin wasn't very cooperative or maybe it was me but now that you posted that pace site I can figure out what I should have done.

Anne said...

Nice, Jeanne. Those are impressive splits, even if they were "a wipe out." Keep it up.

Taunya said...

Sounds really hard. I'll know I'll do track workouts at some point--but I'm really not looking forward to them. Good job with your splits even with those thingies on your feet.

Black Knight said...

I hate the track workout, it is my nightmare but you made a very good job!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the run. Now let those poor feet heal...a bit.

David said...

Track workouts are addicting. I am glad you are hooked.

Bolder said...

we tell you 'rest', and you do a track workout -- you are a full-time job.

i hate to even think about what i'm going to read in the following posts...

i should probably cut my losses and stop now.