Thursday, June 29, 2006

Seriously, I Really Was Not Born to Run

I was truly inspired when I chose my blog name, if I do say so myself. Read why:

Good News!! Blisters update: Will take one month to fully heal, looking better, ran three miles last night, first time in a week, in the Nike Pegasuses with the asic tight-fitting socks, and no blister pain, so all cleared for take-off! (It seems that sentence should lend itself to a Dr. Seuss rendering, but who has the time?)

Bad news! Somehow, over past WEEK of NO RUNNING, I developed (are ya ready??): plantar fasciitis.

Effffffffffff me!!!!

Doc taped my foot up and said to leave it taped for a week. He said I could resume running gradually. He actually said (and this is why I like him): "If you were not in training, I'd tell you to take a month off. Since you are in training, I'm gonna tape you up, and get you on your way." He gave me some oxaprozin, a strong version of ibuprofen (note: common side affect is GI upset, not that I ever have any problems of that sort) which should help with the inflammation. "You're keeping me in business!," he joked. Ha. Ha.

So what have I been doing this past week? Well, I couldn't sit around and do nothing, come on people! I'm in training. So, Saturday, two hours on the elliptical (fun!); Monday: one hour spinning (kinda fun! More fun than Saturday!); Tuesday: 45 minutes elliptical (hate elliptical!); Wednesday: Three miles. Running. Outside. Whoooo heeeee!

Tonight, it's back to the track; then I'm off to the beach on Saturday and Sunday, and will try for an 8-miler there.

First, though, I am going to go contemplate the many, many, many ways this could be worse. After I go throw myself a serious pity party; you're all invited!

Cheers!

19 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm good at pity parties. I'll bring the margaritas.

Bolder said...

now p.f.

you're a full-time job.

*sigh*

Nancy Toby said...

There's always SWIMMING....

And I'll have that margarita with Cuervo Gold on the rocks, with salt, please.

21st Century Mom said...

Pity Party! Pity Party!! I'll bring the chips!

Plantar fasciitis? What a drag! How did it develop while you were off your feet? Is it just your heel that hurts? I have wickedly sore feet much of the time but I'm just ignoring them until my marathon is over (which won't be soon enough, I might add). Let me know how the taping works. I have links to web pages that tell how to do it. If it works for you I might give it a whirl.

Have fun at the beach.

Haight said...

Plantar Fasciitis...I think he runs the gyro place down the street...he owes me money

Anonymous said...

that really really sucks :-/

m said...

Have fun at the beach (at least you didn't go this past week)

Sorry about the planter f. I hear that's pretty painful...but two hours on the ellipitcal sounds painful to me!

Anonymous said...

WTF?! wow. well, at least he sent you on your merry way.

L*I*S*A said...

Sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis...that sucks! On another note, thanks for the Tears for Fears video. Love that song. :)

MNFirefly said...

It could be worse. I dealt with shin splints when I started running last year.

David said...

PF is not a good thing. You must have had it developing for awhile. He didn't see it the first time he looked at your blisters?
I wonder how running barefoot on the beach will feel with PF?

Anonymous said...

ugh! I just bought a massage product that is supposed to be great for PF- from what I've heard...anyway I posted about it on my blog yesterday under "new crap" If you wanna check it out.
Good Luck!

Taunya said...

I love a good party. Pity parties are the best! Sorry to hear about your newest ailment. Hope for a speedy recovery for you.

Anonymous said...

My guess is that you got the plantar faciitis from walking around either barefoot or in non-supportive shoes. Here is some advice, not that you asked for it, but I have suffered with this so:
- never walk barefoot
- wear supportive shoes
- icing may help
- taping will probably help

Hopefully, it is short term but do be careful not to let it reoccur.

Phil said...

My four-year-old is mad about Dr. Seuss at the moment.

B...b...what begins with B?
Big bad blisters in Bethesda, bother-ee!

S...s...what begins with S?
Super speedy socks on a Sunday stroll

Hmm, needs some work, I think.

Anne said...

Be careful -- that's one of the stubborn ones. I guess your running would be going swimmingly if you didn't need your feet to do it, huh?

Black Knight said...

I agree with Lilred, next february my Thorlo will celebrate their 20th birthday| They are unbreakable.
Ok for the party, but the address?

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Hope that PF has cleared up, Jeanne. Good for you keeping up the cardio while you aren't running. See? That's why you are a serious athlete. :)

Rich said...

You're running replacement training is tougher than my standard running training! Who should be pitying who now?