Monday, October 19, 2009

The Secret to Life

In other news: I finally found the perfect apartment on Capitol Hill. (My grand plan is to move into the city, and rent out my condo in Bethesda). I've been looking pretty much every Sunday afternoon.

So I finally found the perfect place: a gorgeous one-bedroom basement apartment with a fireplace (working!) and loads of light, on a much sought-after block.

See? Who would ever guess this is the basement??!

Silly me, I figured that owning my own place and working at the same company for 12 years would make me a shoo-in for any apartment I wanted. The world was my oyster! (Within a certain price range.)

Not so much.

I got turned down.

Yep, REJECTED.

It's not enough to get rejections from match.com, now I'm not good enough to RENT TO?

Sigh.

I don't think the owners even checked my credit, because they said they'd charge $35 to do so, and I never heard from them.

I'm so naive.

Apparently, they just did not like me. (I know, it boggles the mind.)

Some days I wander around thinking that I'm the only one who doesn't know what the answer is.

I wish someone would spill the beans.

Feel free to leave it in the comments.

We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

19 comments:

Rainmaker said...

It'll all work out. This weekend you'll go out and find an apartment ten times cooler with a built in swimming pool or something. Perhaps a disco ball or a bowling alley.

Though, I'm not sure if a bowling alley is a good idea. So much potential for fail with a big old ball and everything.

Paula said...

All I can say: don't take it personally. There could be a bunch of reasons why they turned you down and none of those reasons had to do anything with you. These people don't even know you. C'mon, Jeanne.

Unknown said...

Don't give up! At least now you know they exist -- you just have to find YOUR prince-of-a-place!

LBTEPA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
21stCenturyMom said...

I think I already told you not to take this personally. It wasn't about you.

IHateToast said...

have RS write your application next time.

if they're that wanky, they'd have blamed pre-existing scratches on you.

if not this, something better.

there--i gave you three good things to think about. you're wonderful. shoot. four.

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Its probably a front for a terrorist organization. They were waiting for their contact man to come rent the place. You're lucky they didn't kill you.

Jack said...

Maybe they read your blog and know about your famous pies and you didn't bribe them with one...it would have worked with me anyway ;-)

Nancy Toby said...

Did you use deodorant? Come from a long bike workout wearing Lycra? Do a snot rocket in the living room?

If so, it's them, not you.

Noames said...

Oh no! But don't lose hope -- we were hardcore rejected for our first apartment (and I was flabbergasted, and even offered to pay a bunch of rent up front!) but then we found a bigger, cheaper apartment, and ended up living next door to some great people.

Meanwhile, yay for capitol hill! We'll be neighbors!

Anne said...

I've been rejected almost daily in the past three months. The others are right, never take it personally or you'll start behaving like someone unworthy without realizing it. And, besides, all things happen for a good reason. Maybe someone was attacked in that apartment or building or block within the last year and no single woman would be considered a suitable renter to these people. (Which, of course, they couldn't tell you for legal reasons.)

Petraruns said...

Clearly these people were morons and terrible judges of character. Their loss because apartment karma is such that if you don't get what you think you want it is because there is, in fact, something better waiting for you. ABSOLUTELY true.

Having said that I could see myself stretching out on that sofa very comfortably. So try to keep that setup in mind okay cause it would work for me.

Finally. You want the secret to life. It is there in my completely favourite Monty Python sketch. Which is that basically people are dickheads.

peter said...

I like you Jeanne. Even if you did start riding bicycles.

Janice said...

Keep that chin up...it was their loss. You'll find something that suits you in time.

Maryland Girl aka Michelle said...

You will find it! It takes time. Trying finding a rental when you have a 150lb dog! :)

Judi said...

that one was just never meant to be. the next one you find will be better. oh, and eff those guys. their loss.

Runner Susan said...

You can live with me. It's not bad around here if you like 115 degrees year round.

ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like their loss. Perhaps, though, someone they knew decided they wanted it and, well, you know how those things go ...

Unknown said...

Oh they just knew you would dragging bikes and wetsuits through there and thought "We can't be having any of that nonsense!"