Monday, February 26, 2007

Back in the Game

10K training started Saturday morning at 9 a.m., here:

(Lincoln Memorial)

I was so excited to be starting training again! Plus, this time around, I had the added benefit of helping to sign people up, collect money, take photos. None of the hard stuff, like the actual coaching part. I was determined to be the best darn signer-upper, money taker, photographer that DCRR ever saw! I had the brilliant idea to bring my laptop, so that people could enter their e-mail addresses directly onto a spreadsheet, sparing me the arduous task of trying to read handwriting. I'm clever like that.

I got home from work late Friday night, around 8:30, dog-dead tired. And as I started to lay out all my gear for Saturday morning, my eagle eyes instantly noticed something: I didn't have any gear. Because? I had left it all at work. Everything. (I know it's hard to believe I take all my running stuff to work, but I do. That way I don't forget anything and I'm prepared for all running conditions! Of course, this plan does have one little teensy consequence. It involves remembering to take it all home again. I'm clever like that, too.) Do I go back to work on Friday night and get everything? I couldn't face it. There was nothing for it but to get up extra early Saturday morning.

So I got up at 6 a.m., ate and drove to work where I changed.

Got to the Lincoln Memorial at 8:25. Score! One new runner soon joined me.

Did I mention it was minus 20F? OK, maybe not, but close. It was freaking cold. 24F, 14F with the wind chill. It was too cold to stand around for 30 minutes. A new runner soon showed up, but where oh where was P, the coach? I had told him I'd be there at 8:30, laptop, and camera in hand. It was now 8:45 and no one else had shown up.

Suddenly, new runner said: Hey, what are all those people doing over there?

Sigh. See diagram below:

Yes, I was standing on the wrong side of the stairs. Poor P must have thought I'd bailed on him. Well, I finally got everything set up and starting helping.

Did I mention it was cold? "Hi, please take your gloves off, fill out these two forms, write a check, and then type your e-mail..." Fingers were turning blue, falling off. It was cold. It was sunny. No one could see the computer screen because of the glare.


We had about 40 people turn out, many of them new runners.

P gave a pep talk, and some options for run lengths for this first week, and the everyone took off. Coach P (I've got to give this guy a nickname soon) said he had already run, so graciously stayed behind to watch all my crap so that I could run.

So I did. I ran down almost to the Capitol building, and back, about three miles. And I did it all by myself, like a big girl, with no headphones and in the freezing cold.

In summation, it was all good, if cold. It was good and cold.

Three weeks to go, and then ...


Laufenweg said...

that looks like so much fun!! i'm moving back to virginia next summer....i'd love to do something like this!!

Dori said...

So...was it cold?

Nice diagram. Who knew you were an artist as well as a runner. :-)

I submitted your name as a possible speaker for the BlogHer 07 conference, which will be in Chicago this year. I think you'd be great! Hopefully they'll contact you. Keep July 27 and 28 open.

Bob said...

I LOVE the diagram! And being back on track with your blog, I checked on you to find out what was up over the weekend to learn your link was broke.

Great job with the run. :-)

Thomas said...

Great diagram. Makes you feel you were there, minus the cold.

Bex said...

Thanks again for being our program go-to person. And here's hoping that the runners I coach will multiply in number! And that they will get faster! It was hard to keep warm last Saturday b/c of our pace, alas.

(I'm the one on the second row, in the red running top and black tights)

Angela said...

Great for you! I wish I could find a group of nice people to train with around here.....maybe I"m not looking hard enough. I hope you sail through your you will. I had a hysterectomy last summer and bounced back much faster than I thought I would. I think this was because I ran right up until the day of my operation. I'll bet you'll come back quick because you are putting tim ein now.

runnergirl said...

Love the pics! You are brave to be running it such cold temps. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather!

LBTEPA said...

That's funny! But why weren't they looking for you as well?
Brrrrrr you intrepid thing

susie said...

Yay! Don't you love being official? I do :)

L*I*S*A said...

Love the diagram! Sounds like the training is getting off to a great start.

WannaBe5Ker said...

LOL the diagram! Glad you are getting to have fun administrating with the training group, that is cool. How awesome that you run at these landmarks!!

Runner Susan said...

Can I play, can I play? Can I, can I?

I belong anywhere but in between... said...

Checking out, and enjoying, your blog for the first time. I am training for a 10K too, without a fun group like yours! I am not quite sure the best way to get started...any suggestions?

Just12Finish said...

Funny how the cold distorts your straight-line vision, doesn't it?

Hey, I spot a couple of pro runners in the front row! What are they doing in a training run?

peter said...

Thanks for all your hard work, Jeanne. I didn't mind watching your laptop, I hadda guard the Gatorade & water too. And I got in a nice little workout running circles in the plaza in front of the Lincoln Memorial trying to stay warm!

How about "Peter?"


(I'm the one in the back row in the yellow hat,)