Monday, November 06, 2006

My Big Plans

My adoring fans (OK, one) write:
Okay. It's been a week and I'm still waiting to hear what's next on your running dance card...half-marathon, marathon, or ultra or ironman?
It's tough having fans. So demanding.

So far last week, on my post-marathon training plan, I did: nothing. Monday thru Sunday. A perfect zero. Well, not quite. I did go to a strength-training class on Friday, which whooped me but good. Sunday, I stood for about nine hours, serving coffee. So that counts for something, right?

Today, I ventured back out there, and let me tell you: I still have the demon of "you can't run" on my back. (Or the monkey. Something is on my back.) I ignored him. And trotted off for a 3-mile run. A slow 3-miles, around 11 min pace, although one mile dipped into the 10:45 range.

My Big Goal is this, and simply this: To Get Fit

Yes, I know I just ran a marathon, but how many sit-ups can I do? How many push-ups? (That last one is easy: none. Well, none done in any sort of correct form.)

So that's it. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to attain this goal, but I figure I have a while to reach it. As with everything else related to fitness, nothing (especially me) goes quickly.

Oh, and I plan to keep racing.

And I'd like to get faster, so I'm scouting around for a running club that will help me achieve that goal.

Next up: Dec. 10, the Blue and Gray Half Marathon with Susie and David and Bex.

See the thing is, when you're training for a marathon, 13.1 miles starts to sound like nothing. "Of course I'll do a half! Cake!!"

And then when the marathon is over? And a 3-mile run seems hard? Yeah. But! I will be there! I will toe the line.

14 comments:

GreenTree said...

I'm a new fan as well. I just started running more and dig your videos! Thanks.

Rich said...

Hooray for you! Go whip that half's @ss!

Hey, I'm an adoring fan too :)

21st Century Mom said...

You are correct about that half and you really can do it without much training and even if you are sick. It's just amazing.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a little while now, and I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your writing and your story. I'm kind of getting started with this whole "runner" thing, and it's so inspiring to read your archives and see how far you've come.

Also, if you're interested in getting in overall shape, I'd recommend checking out a boot camp. I used the CrossFit affiliate in my hometown, and it's really crazy how fast you feel the change in your body. The people here were amazingly supportive, and the workouts are wonderfully intense. It looks like there's a DC branch too: http://www.crossfitdc.com/

Anyway, I look forward to more posts!

Neese said...

i am thinking along the same path, i'm thinking if i can get fit (for fit's sake) in addition perhaps it could aid in running faster. hmm lets try! :o)

Anita said...

It appears my persistence (as opposed to being demanding!) was not in vain Half-marathons...I feel the exact same way. Training for 13 miles sounds so manageable but boy, do I remember when that sounded next to impossible impossible! Could it possibly be that without our knowing it, we have slowly morphed into, dare I say, athletes??!

I'm with you on the focus on "GET FIT!" too. That's what my entire plan is for the next few months and then it will be back to training and the hope of shaving time off my pace. The beauty is that my first half-marathon was so ridiculously slow that I could take a nap between mile 6 and 7 and wait in a portapotty line at mile 11 and still finish with a better time.

How that monkey held on to your back past the marathon finish line is beyond me. Makes me wonder if you're holding onto his little furry tail for some reason...

Lora said...

Is there a tee shirt for your fan club?

Waterfall said...

Another "Not Born to Run" fan club member here. :) Isn't it funny how our perspectives change? Yesterday I was complaining to my husband that I felt so sluggish on my run that I "only went five piddly little miles." He isn't a runner, so he just shook his head.

Getting fit is a great goal. That's actually the goal I had first--the half-marathon goal came later. Have fun at the Half!

Anonymous said...

I can remember just this past April when I thought that a half mary was just too much! Now that I have the Chicago Marathon under my belt, I'm looking for a half for 'training' before the Flying Pig in May. Amazing how our mindset changes, huh?

Lisa said...

I think you should get that monkey off your back - maybe when you fly through the half he'll be left behind in the dust!

Love your blog...

IronWaddler said...

You are right how our perspective changes. I think the half is my favorite distance. The feeling of acomplishment with out the huge focused training.

susie said...

Yah for Blue Gray!! I need to sign up:) And I'm mailing your water bottle back today, so you can use it on all that training!!

LBTEPA said...

now you will be able to post shots of your rippling biceps etc.
Seriously, that is a great goal :)

Rhea said...

Sounds like we've got to start printing up "Not Born to Run" fan t-shirts. I'll wear one!

Before I forget, I need to sign up for Blue & Gray ....