Sunday, May 06, 2007

It Ain't Exactly the Paleo Diet

DC Spinster (Note: He is not actually a spinster, just fyi), was obviously having a slow day, and issued this challenge: to "divulge [my] fridge particulars." As in, post photos of what's inside my fridge.

OK, the first-photo-in-the-morning was one thing, but now we're really getting personal!

But, as always, I live to serve. So, here is the entire contents of NBTR's refrigerator, along with photos of the outside. My kitchen is so small I had to do this in parts, since I can't get far enough away to take a photo of the entire fridge. You will just have to use your imagination to piece it all together.

Are we ready?

The Bottom Shelf


This is the bottom shelf. Protein bread, havarti cheese, ancient bran muffins (thrown out after this photo was taken), and eggs. If it looks like no one in this house (that would be moi) eats fruits or veggies, well, that would be because I generally buy veggies on the day I'm going to eat them, and I hate and detest cold fruit.

Middle and Top Shelves


Here we have (middle shelf, l-r) a look at some mainstays of NBTR's diet. Soy salami (yum!!!), soy yogurt (yum!!), some kind of shredded cheese (v. old), and...I spy a tomato! Top shelf, l-r, we see that NBTR stores her natural peanut butter upside down (that way the oil rises to the bottom (clever, eh?), ye olde Marinara di Napoli, soy milk, and yummie fruit sauces.

Freezer


Ahh, where the wild things are! Top shelf, l-r: Irish oatmeal, of course (in freezer to discourage ants), garden VEGETABLE lasagne (not just like dad used to make, but good!), penne pepperonata, and look, fish! Bottom shelf, l-r: my favorite meataballs! Red pesto something, and fire-roasted VEGETABLE ravioli. Hmm. I detect a theme... (Note bags of flour, sugar, baking chocolate (all in freezer to foil ants) and frozen peas, which are purely for medicinal use and have been applied to every body part you can think of. So, if I ever serve peas ... don't say I didn't warn you.)


The Refrigerator Door—Inside


There's nothing to see here, people, move along. Except for two bottles of limoncello, I'd be afraid to touch anything else.

The Refrigerator Door—Outside


I had to squish everything together so that you could see it. You wouldn't necessarily guess from this that I don't actually drink. Much.

What's on Top?


I do use the mixmaster, which is now 20+ years old; the other stuff is about the same age. (I think someone gave me that cream sherry for my wedding! In 18xx. yeah.)

What's That Typewritten List Say?


You're going to have to get up real close to see.

I should really trade this model in for one of those fridges you take to college.

Please send food.

20 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Send food is right. The ratio of booze to food is bit high there. Time to bring that stuff out of the freezer and get something in you. The meatballs looked good.

a.maria said...

you don't like cold fruit???????

honey. you're weird. but i still luv ya!

and seriously. you have no food in your fridge, what on earth do you eat all day!!!?!?!

Lara said...

Oh I disagree with Jon, the food to booze ratio is perfect! And I'm going to integrate that 'I've got a lot of Karma to burn off' comment into my daily life - at least until I run out of people to say it to.

David said...

I'll bring the take out next time.

Susan said...

LOL!!!

Rich said...

Dude - thanks for playing. I knew P. could count on at least a 33% response rate :-)

LBTEPA said...

Oooooooooh it's so cleeeeeeeeeeean........
It's quite clear you're not much of a drinker - there are unfinished bottles in your fridge!
The only thing that worries me is that if you want your veggies fresh every day, you have to shop every day, bleah.
I like no. 23 on your list the best

m said...

I'm impressed with your frig. Mine is a mess. There is so much tupperware with leftovers that have grown legs. I'm scared to open it.

Nancy Toby said...

What brand of limoncello do you recommend? Yum. Just in time for summer.... with a little soda and ice!

I love your fridge. You're very brave.

I can't shop every day or I would go insane. Er, more insane.

21stCenturyMom said...

So spartan - so healthy!

That list is a winner - love that.

Laufenweg said...

creme de cassis.... you're all right, girl! :-) i was just thinking about a kir royale.

IHateToast said...

the fridge we have is the one my lervemunkee bought when he separated from his now exwife. it's cheap and small.
we gave up our lower veggie crisper drawer to dog food. this can be brisket bones, pig trotters, BARF (biologically appropriate raw food), chicken necks/frames, etc.
the freezer has frozen BARF (dog), berries (me), and ice packs.
trust me, you don't want a photo.

Anne said...

Protein bread?! Isn't that an oxymoron? I keep my limoncello in the freezer. It's alcohol -- it won't freeze. But it tastes fantastic going down oh-so-cold. Try it.

peter said...

I dunno, Jeanne. Your refrigerator looks so...healthy. But I'm encouraged you like limoncello. You been hangin' out with Danny Devito and George Clooney lately? For the record, I like put-down # 15.

Mark said...

It's very clean. There must be something wrong with you.

Nevermind ...I knew that already. :)

Thomas said...

Did you clean that fridge before taking the photos? That would be cheating, you know.

Rae said...

How funny!! I hope you never end up on one of those shows where you have to cook with what's on hand!!! If you're ever hungry fly down, we've got two overstuffed fridges!

Dori said...

My kitchen aid mixer is older than yours--it's HARVEST GOLD.

Tammy said...

Your frig looks a lot like mine... no, seriously... like it's kinda freakin' me out!

Love the list btw, had to save that one. I think I'll print it out and put it on my frig :)

CewTwo said...

That was anamazing fridge! I am a bachelor and really never think that anything (much less a fridge) could be so very clean!

You are correct, you do need more food in there!

How bold you are!