Sunday, June 07, 2009

Training From the Other Side

Last Saturday was the first training tri of the summer, hosted by DC Tri. I volunteered (you know me—always thinking of others! You know me—procrastinated until it was sold out!)

It was Great Fun being on the other side of things for once. The volunteers met at 6:00 a.m., which meant getting up at 4:30 a.m., but for once I didn't have to worry about um, digestive issues, since there was no stress, to um, bollocks up the works, so to speak, so I didn't mind the early wakeup in the least. That, plus we were promised free coffee and doughnuts! All I had to do was show up.

So 4:30 wakeup was NOT a problem. What WAS a problem was the pool party that started outside my window just as I was drifting off to sleep at 9:30 p.m., forcing me to listen to WHAM, YMCA and other '80s horrors.

Out of bed I popped, got dressed, walked down 3 flights to the pool to yell at people, music got turned down, I came back upstairs, back to bed, up again at 11:30. Rinse. repeat.

Yes, sadly, I am That Woman.

I swear, my neighbors must have some kind of phone tree set up to sound the alarm (literally) if I have to wake up early. "Hey Jeanne needs to be up at 4:30—paaartaaay!"

Grrr.

But I digress.

I bopped down to Hain's Point, and mingled with many new and some old triathletes. It is so much fun being a veteran. I remembered distinctly how freaked out I was last year at my first training tri, so I tried to sound all knowledgeable and reassuring. I think I pulled it off. Soon enough 7 a.m. rolled around and we moved up to Hain's Point 50-meter pool.

The training tri is limited to 120 people. And it's only $5! Great training for everyone.

Race director Hugh showing us how it's done.

The racers had all estimated their swim times and got in at the center of the pool one at at time according to their times, swimming 400 yards in a zig-zag across the pool to the outer lanes. I got to write down the times, while my partner in crime #1, Becky, timed people. It was fun! Plus? It really helps to watch how other people swim. So much easier to see what other people are doing wrong.

(Becky had to handle the timer cuz it would have stressed me out too much to push buttons. Becky also has a large pole growing out of her head.)

After the last person got out of the pool, I headed for my next assignment, which was manning the water station with partner in crime #2, Lindsey.

Out state-of-the-art water stop, on Haine's point. Potomac River in the background.

We had a lot of fun, and people were SOOOOO thankful to see us! If you have self-esteem issues, go volunteer at a water stop. Someone said, "You're the best thing that's happened to me all day!," which, if true, is kinda sad! But still! Props to us!

I took loads of really bad photos (So not my fault. Number One Daughter took her camera back, so I had to use my ancient one.)

There was the traditional 9:30 a.m. barbeque, at which I stood around whining about how I needed to go run. So finally, I shut the eff up, and ran 3.1 miles around the peninsula. That was my Long Run for the week. Sigh.

It was a great day again. D.C. Tri makes it look effortless, though I imagine it's not so much. I'm glad I had a little part in it. I could get very used to this side of racing. Very, very used to it.

10 comments:

Judi said...

hey jeanne, can't wait to read a race report for your next tri. super excited for your new season! :) chin UP!

Rainmaker said...

Very nicely done.

The photo of Lindsey is pretty funny. It's as though she's trying to steal something there at the water stop and is watching over her shoulder. Then again, knowing Lindsey and food...it all makes sense. ;)

montisse98 said...

Hi Jeanne,

no I don't know John, but recently visited her blog by clicking on the link you sent me.
I came across yours while searching for runners' blogs that would motivate me ---found yours to be the most inspiring. Not to mention that you're also very funny and a great storyteller. Love following your adventures.

Petraruns said...

Hmm. I do LOVE Wham! But I can see your issues. Looks like you had great fun being out there - I've never volunteered for a race and really should - and the instant boost to self-esteem would help no?

Dori said...

Good for you for volunteering. And also for going on a run. Three miles is better than no miles.

I have no problem yelling at people for making too much noise. Once I was in a hotel in Paris and the American girl in the room next door (I could hear her talking) starting BLASTING her music. I pounded on her door and when she opened it, informed her that it was 3:30 in the morning! Hey, I had to get up in a few hours for my morning run. :-)

Thomas said...

If I had a group like that in my vicinity, I'd have tried a tri a long time ago. Especially with those volunteers around.

And to think that I'm actually a member! Too bad I'd have to get up a bit before 4:30 to make it there in time...

Kelly said...

It's 6:30 am and I would LOVE some doughnuts right now. Mmmmm...

Great job with the volunteering!

Lesser is More said...

What, my photo wasn't good enough to make the cut into the actual post?

Runner Susan said...

I know you wrote a bunch of stuff, but all I can focus on is the girl in a two piece bikini. It is just hitting me: PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SEE ME IN A BATHING SUIT IN PUBLIC.

Holy F@cking Sh*t. No tri for me. Kudos to those who are so brave.

Jade Lady said...

Wow...you're a real trooper to support these guys! Great deal too - $5! And, hey, pics are fine! Thanks for sharing.